Monday, November 9, 2015

November in Liebenberg

Schloss Liebenberg
Indian Summer may be an American phenomenon, but we here in Germany are experiencing  a wonderfully mild and extended autumn that is every bit as beautiful as those in New England; it is pure luxury to be able to leave  winter coat and gloves in the closet in November. The geraniums and asters in my window boxes are still producing blossoms and defying the calendar. Until yesterday there were even several half ripe strawberries in my sunniest window garden; I was entertaining thoughts of  homegrown strawberries on Thanksgiving . . . until the local squirrel found them. I hope he enjoyed this unexpected delicacy.

On one of the sunny afternoons this past week I took a drive just north of Berlin to visit Schloss Liebenberg. In one month's time, the courtyard of this little castle will be transformed into a beautiful Advent market with stands offering all sorts traditional decorations, handicrafts, art (yes, KlangArt, too) culinary treats and music.
It was not the typical November afternoon!

The fresh air, mild temperatures and glorious colors have had their effect on my watercolor palette,  too. Where I ought to be concentrating on snowmen, angels and winter scenes for the upcoming Advent market season, I've instead spent my time painting the warm tones of autumn sunsets and foliage.
Autumn in the Air

As I was leafing through an old calendar today, I ran across something I had scribbled on the page - a thought from John Cleese that was important to me then - and no less pertinent today.


"Nothing will stop you from being creative so effectively as the fear of making a mistake."
Right!

No comments:

Post a Comment