Thursday, September 17, 2015

Old Friends

I took the day today for a trip from Berlin to Wernigerode. For those of you who might not be up on your German geography, Wernigerode is a 2 1/2 hour drive southwest of Berlin and on the edge of the Harz Mountains. This is a route I have taken many times over the years, though not recently. As I turned off the highway and had the first view of the soft hills in the distance, there was indeed my moment of recognizing an old friend. The colors in the fields and trees and villages change from season to season but the shapes in the landscape are wonderfully familiar - and my car knows each turn in the road. Needless to say, I enjoyed the drive.

While driving I listen to the radio, and was pleasantly surprised to hear another old friend - Mozart. Having a good 40 years of orchestral experience under my belt, the Mozart symphonies are no strangers. Number 28 isn't as well known as the later symphonies but as a seasoned second violinist, I've come to appreciate the last movement of this symphony especially - no boring accompaniment here - lots to play and lots of fun. (The joy of singing along in the car is also not to be underestimated.) In this recording, the presto movement starts just after 19 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4YzaixT3E   Enjoy!

The underlying reason for my trip today was the delivery of paintings to a shop in Wernigerode where I have had my work on display for several years now.The pieces I brought with me are all new works, but portraying subjects that are indeed old friends - sunflowers and poppies.  I have painted these flowers untold times, but each time anew. As in nature, no two flowers are alike - love it! This time I started with patches of color and added contours with India ink. Granted, the technique is not new, but it was a new approach to the subject for me.

But then, isn't that the special quality of an old friend? Something old, something new, a trusted familiarity in a new situation - an old sneaker with a new insole - a new twist to the spaghetti bolognese. And, yes, I also had a couple wonderful conversations today with dear old friends. It has been a lovely day.


"Towering Poppies" and "Sunny Side"

September's Best

No comments:

Post a Comment